For cooks who are short on time, but want to make meals that are big on nutrition, kale packs a punch. Check out this clever recipe from Lia Huber of the Nourish Network featured in our no-leak, plastic-free Blue Water Bento Splash Box.
This recipe is brilliantly healthy and time-saving because it’s designed to use leftovers from the Lemony Kale Salad whipped up into a pesto. Normally, left-over salad is destined for the compost bin. But think again! If you haven’t eaten all the kale salad, pull it out of the frig and let’s press it into service!
Farfalle with Kale Pesto and Green Beans
Ingredients:10 ounces dried farfalle
1 pound green beans, topped
1/2 recipe Lemony Kale Salad
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
Juice of 1 lemon
2 cloves garlic
1/4-1/2 cup pasta water
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil.
- Add beans and boil for 3-5 minutes, until a perfect crisp-tender texture.
- Lift beans out of water with a slotted spoon or “spider” and place in a colander.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Add farfalle to water and boil for 10 minutes.
- While pasta is boiling, place Lemony Kale Salad, 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice and garlic in a blender.
- Add 1/4 cup pasta water and blend, adding more if needed.
- Season with salt. Drain farfalle and toss with the pesto and remaining 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- Top with parmesan cheese before serving.
- Pack this yummy salad for lunch in the ECOLunchbox Splash Box.